Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Inspirations: The 10-Minute Skirt





Happy Tuesday, baby!!

Lookit what I made:


That's a buncha skirts for my daughter, to whom I've been promising skirts for weeks now. Previous efforts include this awesome Hulk skirt:


(Sheesh, pardon the mess in the background there.)

It was fun and adorable but kind of a weird challenge. I got a little burned out on from-scratch skirts, frankly. That is, until I found this:



She makes it look so easy! So I decided to give it a try. And you know what?  SO EASY. 

Here are the shirts I picked, purchased for a mere $1.50 at Goodwill. 




Feeling inspired, I also grabbed this fabric from her stash, one she had specifically requested I make a skirt from:


She likes her bright colors. :)

Following the instructions from Make It & Love It, I carefully cut away the bottom of the shirt from just under the sleeves:


Then I folded over the top edge, leaving the bottom hemmed part of the shirts to become the bottom hem of the skirts. 



I cut a few lengths of elastic based on the Hulk skirt above:


Then I sewed up the top casing, leaving a little open part so I could thread the elastic through. Behold! New skirts!




The one I made out of her desired fabric actually had this cool little detail along the raw edge:


1985! Of course. Only 1985 could produce that fabric. :)

So I left that bottom hem raw. We'll see if it holds up through washings. I hope it does! Maybe it'll be best to hand wash it. Ugh. I guess I just made things a little harder for myself in the end. 



So thank you Make It & Love It for inspiring me once again to make my daughter some skirts! I'll be sure to visit your blog again for more awesome ideas. 

2 comments:

  1. I didn't like any of the shirts you chose but they look absolutely darling on your daughter. Good lwsson for me...think outside the box!
    Going to make some for my grand daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy sewing but I do not always have the time. The t shirt skirts are so fun and easy and my nieces like them a lot. The skirt are nice and cool for the New Zealand summers.

    ReplyDelete