Friday, September 26, 2014

Foodie Friday: Peanut Butter Hummus


Happy Friday!

Man do I love food. I mean really, really love it. I have a relationship with it. In the bad way. Fortunately, I happen to have a deep and abiding love for a lot of relatively healthy stuff. 

In particular, hummus has been one of my main squeezes for most of my life. Even when I was a kid, a favorite sandwich was a thick layer of hummus spread between two slices of toast. Hell, that's still one of my favorites. I've had it for lunch every day this week.

I've made "poor man's" hummus before. You know the kind: a can of garbanzo beans, some garlic and lemon juice, blend it together, done. It's not great...but it does the job all right. 

My main issue is that I can never find tahini. Or I never remember to look for it. At that point, I might as well just buy store made hummus, which is becoming more and more popular these days. So usually that's what I do (Costco has a spectacular deal on what appears to be a quart of hummus and it is SO good). But sometimes I don't wanna do that. I want my OWN hummus. 

That's where, just a few short days ago, Nigella Lawson came to my rescue.

(Click that "Read More" button down there for basically the hottest photograph ever taken of a human being.)




Just look at this woman! How can anything she says be wrong??

Well, anyway, Nigella says that she actually prefers her hummus made with peanut butter instead of tahini. Peanut butter! I practically yelled out loud. Of course! And I have tons of that!

Here is her recipe. Just go look at that for a sec, then you can come back here if you want to see how I did it. 

Okay done? Did you come back? Yay!

Ingredients: Assemble!


This recipe couldn't be easier; you just take all of the above ingredients, dump them in the food processor...


And process that shit until it looks like hummus. Done done done!

And ohhhhh my god...


Okay so it's hard to take a good picture of hummus. I didn't have paprika or pistachios or Mediterranean olives or any of the other sexy things people use to photograph hummus. But trust me. You trust me right? You should. Because short of a peanut allergy, you are probably going to love this. 

You can't have any of mine though. 

Mine. Back off. :)

Peanut Butter Hummus (My Handmade Hell style)

Ingredients:

2 cans of garbanzo beans
So much garlic (I used at least 2 tablespoons of minced garlic)
3 Tbsp. olive oil
6 Tbsp. smooth natural peanut butter
3 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. ground cumin
5 Tbsp. plain yogurt (Nigella's recipe calls for Greek yogurt, but I hate the stuff so I just used regular yogurt)
2 tsp. salt-free Sweet 'n Smokey seasoning mix (I didn't have paprika)

Directions:

Put all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Taste and add ingredients as needed. (I ended up adding more salt and more garlic. YES EVEN MORE GARLIC I LOVE GARLIC OM NOM NOM.)

*This recipe was basically lifted in its entirety from Nigella Lawson's website, www.nigella.com. I did not make this recipe up and any changes made to the recipe have been noted above.

No comments:

Post a Comment