Thursday, December 4, 2014

Failure Files: The Shoe Tassel Incident


Hello my pretties!!

Flush with success from my last awesome shoe recon, I decided to do another one: replacing the tassels on my suede loafers. COULDN'T BE EASIER RIGHT??

Sigh.

After the jump, you'll see exactly why this was a tremendous and utter failure.



So I've had these shoes for a while...


I love them! They're so comfy and they go with anything and they always manage to class up any outfit I wear them with. Unfortunately, I wore them too much and...


One of the little bands came loose, and I lost a tassel! BIG FROWNY FACE!

So I decided to fix it, and to replace the tassels on both shoes with new HANDMADE ones!!

I tucked the loose band back into its hole with a paper clip to make sure it was way down in there...


Then I got a couple of 12" lengths of white yarn.


I took more yarn and wrapped it a hundred times around my two fingers.


Then I carefully removed the bundle of yarn and placed it directly on top of one of the 12" strands of yarn, and tied it very, very tightly to keep the bundle together.


Then I snipped away at each loop to make a puff ball!

Here's what it looked like after I got all the loops snipped:


Here's what it looked like when I was halfway done trimming the poof ball up and evening it out:


And here's what it looked like when I couldn't do that anymore or I was going to go nuts:


And here's what it looked like affixed to the shoe!


Now it was at this point that I realized something very important about this project. I HATED the way this looked. I could have made the poof ball smaller, but I didn't. And I wasn't about to make another poof ball right then, because that was boring and stressful. And frankly? Adding a poof ball to a pair of sophisticated shoes like black suede loafers is a really great way to take all the class right out of them.

So I called this a failure and moved on with my life. WHATEVER. Who needs poof balls anyway?

(I will still be trying something with these loafers, and once I do, I'll post it up here pronto!)

FAILURE FILES WOO.

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment