Monday, November 24, 2014

Hat #8: Noro Spiral-ish


Hat #8 is ready for its close up!

I kinda sorta used a spiral effect but ended up sort of accidentally made it a "broken" spiral - about 2/3 up the hat the spiraling eyelets break off and start again a few rows later. I kinda liked it!

More pictures and a pattern after the jump!



I had this slightly-less-than-half-a-skein of Noro Kureyon in my stash. I have no idea what happened to the other half of the skein. I probably made a hat out of it (because that's why I bought the yarn to begin with), but I can't for the life of me remember what the hat looked like or where it is now. 

So, I decided to make another hat. :)


I had a bit of leftover yarn at the end of the hat, and the hat was just a smidge too short, so I used the rest of the yarn to create a crocheted faux-scallop at the bottom brim of the hat for a little interest and a little more length. You don't have to do that if you don't want to, but I've included that part in the directions below in case you're interested.

Those who are particularly picky might notice that I did the decreases differently in my hat than I've described below. That's because I realized while I was decreasing that I should have done it differently, and I was too lazy to rip it out and start over. So, you know, do as I say and not as I do. :)

Noro Spiral-ish Pattern!

Materials:

Slightly-less-than-half-a-skein of aran weight or chunky yarn
Size 9 16" circs (and DPNs if you want)
Size 10 16" circs (and DPNs if you want)
Size USH8 crochet hook

Directions:

Cast on 64 stitches using knit-on technique with the size 9 DPNs or circs. Join to work in the round, careful not to twist stitches. (Start with DPNs if you would prefer, then you can move up to circs about halfway through the ribbed portion.) Place a marker if you like using those.

Rows 1-6: Work in k2p2 ribbing. 
Rows 7-8: Switch to Size 10s. Knit around.
Row 9: *K6, YO, K2tog, continue from * around.
Row 10: *K until previous YO, K the YO, then YO, K2tog, continue from * around.
Rows 11-17: Repeat Row 10.
Rows 18-20: Knit around.
Row 21: *K6, YO, K2tog, continue from * around.
Rows 22-25: Repeat Row 10.
Row 26: Knit around.
Row 27: *K6, K2tog, continue from * around.
Row 28: Knit around.
Row 29: *K5, K2tog, continue from * around.
Row 30: Knit around.
Row 31: *K4, K2tog, continue from * around.
Row 32: Knit around.
Row 33: *K3, K2tog, continue from * around.
Row 34: *K2, K2tog, continue from * around.
Row 35: *K1, K2tog, continue from * around.
Row 36: *K2tog around.

Cut your yarn and pull it through the live stitches and cinch it closed like a drawstring. Weave in the end.

Optional Crochet Edging:

1. Using your USH8 crochet hook, reattach the yarn to any stitch along the brim of the hat with a slip stitch, then chain 2 (counts as sc + ch1). 

2. Half-double crochet (HDC - yarn over hook, hook through next stitch on the hat, yarn over hook, pull up a loop, yarn over again and pull through all stitches on the hook) and chain 1.

3. Double crochet (DC) into next stitch on hat, chain 1.

4. Triple crochet (TC - yarn over twice, hook through next stitch, yarn over, pull up a loop, yarn over, pull through two loops, yarn over, pull through 2 loops, yarn over, pull through remaining loops on hook), chain 1.

5. DC into next stitch, chain 1.

6. HDC into next stitch, chain 1.

7. SC into next stitch, chain 1.

Continue around, repeating steps 2-7 above, until you reach your first slip stitch, and slip stitch into the hat in the same stitch you started with. Cut yarn and weave in ends.

Et voila!




No comments:

Post a Comment