Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A Reconstructed Clothes Round-Up - Professional Edition

Good Tuesday all!

Last night, while dinner was cooking, I made a tiny pincushion out of a soda bottle cap, some fiber fill, some white fleece, a little ribbon and elastic a la this tutorial. It took me 10 minutes, including gathering all the materials together. Therefore, all of my sewing friends are going to get one, because I've been saving those bottle tops for a while now.

In the spirit of the original purpose of this blog - to create or reconstruct a fashionable, wearable wardrobe using crafty DIY skills - and in the absence of a camera with which to record my own ventures into this territory, I have decided to throw together a round-up of some of my favorite tutorials that I've come across in the last year or so. Since I currently work an 8-5 as a receptionist, where I probably ought to try looking my professional best, I've decided that this round-up shall include items that would be acceptable in an office setting.



This skirt really is adorable. It can be lengthened (hell, or shortened if you want) depending on the size of the sweater you start with. It would look adorable with a pair of tights or leggings, and paired with a long-sleeved t-shirt it could look very classy.

























This is sheer brilliance - I have so many v-neck or wrapped tops that are just a tad bit too low for me, but I hate the feel of camisoles under my shirt - they always ride up, and if the shirt is form-fitting, anybody can see the lines the cami creates. This is a perfect solution, and I will be making one in every color.

















This one might take a little chutzpah to pull off, but we're crafty people, aren't we? We can handle a big old bow on our boobs. For this vest, you could use blue jeans, khakis, slacks...or, you know, even just plain fabric - the tutorial doesn't discriminate against those who hand-select the exact fabrics they want at the fancy crafts stores!































I love cute little short-sleeved shrugs, and I especially love it when I can make my own. I really especially love it when I can make my own out of a sweatshirt, and it doesn't look like a sweatshirt anymore.

































The image here looks a little casual, but done well and with a good starting sweater, this could be an outstanding addition to your professional wardrobe. Seems to me you could make it sleeveless, or longer, or shorter, or just a shirt...the tutorial allows for a lot of creative leeway.

































This one is pretty similar to the shrug tutorial above, but I can't emphasize how much I love these kinds of projects. Add some embroidery or buttons or beading or lace...the potential is limitless!














This one didn't have "photographic" evidence, but I thought it was adorable nonetheless. The right combination of colors, textures, and embellishments could make this a staple of a professional wardrobe.











Ahh, general skills tutorials. They make me happy! This one is simply fantastic to know, because you know what? Men have badass-looking button-up shirts, and I want to make them fit me, dammit!




























This right here might be one of the cutest recons I've ever seen. The trick is simplicity itself - you cut away the bodice and the sleeves of the sweater...and turn them around and reattach them backwards! Simple as that to turn a shapeless garment into a flattering fit!




























Finally, the most basic of Grosgrain's Embellish Knits Month tutorials - simply resizing a cardigan until it fits you perfectly. Do you KNOW how many gorgeous cardigans I've passed up at thrift stores because they were too big? If only I'd known! I highly recommend, by the way, that you click this link and then check out the rest of Grosgrain's Embellish Knits Month tutorials. They are every one of them gorgeous and unique.

















This round-up comprises just a few items on my long to-do list before winter is over. Looks like a trip to Goodwill is in my near future.

Anybody else have any favorite professional-looking clothing recon tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment