Thursday, October 8, 2009

Sewing Exploits Lead to Striped Skirt

Sewing has never been my strongest skill. In fact, I recently gave up sewing FOREVER.

This skirt is the result of that decision.

Okay, it's actually the result of a ton of really wonderful chicks over on http://www.craftster.org/ who gave me some badass advice about how to construct a garment. I put those tips to the test and came up with something that, once it's actually finished, could become a pretty awesome addition to my wardrobe.

Since this photo was taken, I've finished the hem (which is dangling free as a bird here), but I have yet to embellish the shit out of it. I don't know if I'm going to add anything at all, actually, but without embellishment, it just seems kind of...boring. The last thing I made out of those red-striped Ikea curtains was a plastic bag dispenser for a swap, and I added some light blue felt chidori (bird silhouettes), and it looked really good. I may consider doing that. Maybe I'll just baste them on and wear it out once or twice. If it looks like crap, I'll take them off again.

Magic Waistband janked from the Fisherman Thai Pants Concept:




So yay for a finished skirt. It did build my confidence a bit. This weekend I think I'm going to try reconstructing a dress. Into...you know. Something easy to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment