Sunday, March 31, 2013

Last Sweaters for a While I SWEAR!

So look.

I love sweaters.

I really do.

SUE ME.

Problem is, sweaters don't work well in a place that's basically just hot all the time. Sure, there are a few months a year during which having a little extra warmth cuddling around you is pretty useful, but then the sweaters get tucked away into Rubbermaids or back closets, sleeping with the moth balls until we find use for them again.

Right around now, in this part of the country, sweaters go on major sale at Goodwill and other thrift stores. It's very exciting but a little sad to see them all, because we really don't have a good way to show them off to the world until it gets chilly again. Plus, you never know when you'll spot the perfect sweater from across the store, only to discover that it has holes, stains, or spots that have worn through.

So I've compiled a little list of things you can make from sweaters that are not, well, other sweaters.

First on the program is this juicy little number that actually made me gasp out loud when I saw it:


It's a sweater purse! A Lemon Squeezy Home has put together a brilliant and easy-to-follow tutorial for this adorable little thing and I can NOT wait to make one. And I'm serious. I even have a purse with awesome handles that I'd be willing to cannibalize for something like this. I could even see picking up a bigger sweater and turning it into a laptop sleeve.

Here's another awesome example of a good idea:


Found on the always fabulous Make It Love It blog, also with a super easy tutorial, this adorable little sling bag could be stitched up in a couple of hours and made in a variety of colors. One for every day of the week, I'm thinking. And people told me I had too many purses before! Hahahahahaha. Hahaha. Haha. Oh my. I'll show them. I'll show them all.

Here's another cute idea, not wearable but totally doable:


Featured in a post on the Schmath blog, but not linked to a tutorial, I can't see how these would be that hard. Pick up a cardigan with an interesting texture, cut out the pieces, sew them together, stuff a pillow form in there...and done! This could really cozy up a cold living room in no time flat.

Here's a simple but effective recon:


This Mama Makes Stuff made this stuff right here - a cashmere baby blanket, ooh la la! Only for the babies with the most sophisticated and high class taste.

Finally, this one made my heart stop and then I immediately started making insane plans:


I just oh my god I don't even.

Yes please.

(From Country Living.)

Okay I promise I won't cover sweaters anymore. For at least...a month. Two. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment