Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Tank Dress


Hey you know what?

It's time to do someone else's tutorial for once, yanno??

I've made it no secret that I'm a huge fan of Mark Montano. I've been a fan of his since his appearances on While You Were Out on HGTV years and years ago. In fact, just yesterday I posted about the ATC's I got from his swap late last month. And if you follow me on Facebook, you'll see that I'm basically reposting his stuff fairly constantly.

So today I ran across this old video of his with a simple enough concept: attach some knit fabric to a tank top and BAM IT'S A DRESS. You can watch the video below if you want to know how I did it. I didn't include any instructions or anything, I just wanted to make something and I liked the result so much I decided to tell you all about it!


Click "Read More" to see my materials and results:




So I had this bright turquoise tank sitting in the back of my closet, and a few days ago I pulled it out of the closet (along with a few other things) and dumped it in the Goodwill box.

Fortunately, I didn't take it to Goodwill, because as soon as I saw the video I knew this was how I needed to use the tank.

I had the tank, and I had a yard of this kind of crazy jersey knit fabric I bought on sale at fabric.com a while back. When I bought it, I thought I might make a dress out of it, but when it arrived I quickly realized that was going to be a LOT of look. This, however...well, somewhere in my brain I thought maybe this could work:


I followed the instructions pretty carefully on the video, and while I opted out of the ruffle (I LOVE ruffles but was really looking for a more casual-looking spring dress) and maybe placed the skirt a bit lower on the tank than I intended to, I was still pretty thrilled with the result!


I styled it with a gold necklace, some badass embellished flip flops, and a black shrug I made by cutting down the center-front of a black t-shirt. Here I am outside, pretending it's spring (COME ON, SAN ANTONIO, LET'S GET WITH THE PROGRAM):


I jumped for joy!


I twirled in circles!


And I posed...


My...


Ass off.


This is honestly not something I would have thought to wear - the colors were pretty iffy when I laid them next to each other in the beginning. But dude. DUDE! I mean am I wrong? Or does this look super freaking cool??

I'm way excited to have a nice, light, brightly-colored dress. Screw the 40-degree weather! I'm wearing it. :)

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment