Thursday, October 30, 2014

Adventures in Baking Week 5: Monster Peanut Butter Cookies!


Happy Halloween everybody!!!

Okay it's not Halloween yet. But in thinking about the logistics of postings today and tomorrow, I've realized that it'll be best for me to post my final Adventures in Fall Baking experiment one day early, since tomorrow will be COSTUME DAY!!!

That's right, I've been painstakingly working on costumes for myself and my two kids for the last week and I am exhausted! Those will be up tomorrow, complete with amazing face and body paint. We've never gone all out like this before. It's going to be a disaster great time!

Meanwhile, I totes ganked this idea from a pin I found recently:


Lilluna, I think I love you. :)

Read More to see how this experiment went...



I wanted peanut butter cookies BAD. Plus I figured they would be soft enough, guaranteed, to press the candy eyeballs and other goodies I'd picked up into them before they hardened too much to work with. So I found a recipe that looked good:


The literal only thing I changed was that I didn't have any brown sugar (I KNOW, I KNOW) so I just swapped out all white sugar. They were still fine.

Ingredients: ASSEMBLE!


This was a pretty straight-forward recipe and I followed it almost exactly.

Dry ingredients in a bowl:


Wet ingredients in another bowl:


Mix those together and get something that looks pretty damn delicious:


Then stir in the dry ingredients. I separated the dough into four bowls and let the kids go nuts with the food coloring.

My daughter loves teal, so she made a special batch of teal cookies:


(You can tell it's her because she's wearing a shirt with two of her favorite things on it: Darth Vader and mustaches.)

We also used dark blue (kiddo #2 wanted Cookie Monster cookies), and purple because I love purple and orange because Grandma (who was visiting for the weekend) loves orange.


We shaped adorable little balls out of them and pressed them flat on the cookie sheet and put them in the oven for the above-prescribed amount of time, and...


They were too close together.


OH WELL. We roll with our mistakes in my house. :)

I already had some sprinkles and icing from previous patisserie efforts, and I had picked up these candy eyeballs and MUSTACHES (!!!!!!) from the local grocery store:


And basically let the kids go to town on those as well.


And go to town they did.


You can see my boring "mom" cookies below.


They were delicious! And they looked awesome! They were the perfect Halloween baking fun. The only complaint I had was that the mustaches were awful. The paper stuck to the back of about half of them and would NOT come off, so we ended up having to throw half of them away. But the ones we were able to use looked awesome!

Overall, I'd say that my month of fall baking was a wild success (even if I did have my daughter do half the work). I learned some things, some tears were shed, some blood was spilled (not really), and many smiles and laughs were shared. Kitchentime fun is fun. :)

HAVE A GREAT DAY TOMORROW FOLKS!!!!!

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment